Join AMIRA International and enjoy these benefits
AMIRA International exists to help its members develop and implement world class science and technology.
We bring to our members four key advantages:
- Leverage on their research funds combined with reduced risk.
By helping a number of like-minded companies to share the cost of a research project we enable them each to access all the IP benefits at a fraction of the cost and risk.
- We give them access to the world’s best researchers.
Over almost half a century we have built up relationships with the world’s leading mineral research institutions and individuals.
We know where the best expertise in any field lies and we can harness that (either singly or in partnership with other researchers) to create research teams of unrivalled ability.
- We provide proven operating protocols and service.
Our Research Directors have developed proven protocols for ensuring that research delivery is world class. We provide that service to our collaborating member partners.
Being part of the AMIRA fraternity keeps you in contact with the global research community and abreast of developments.
How you gain
This process allows our members to concentrate their research resources on the core projects that are critical to their competitive success while we give them access to industry-best technology in other fields at reduced cost. It also keeps you plugged into vital industry information networks.
Because of this, AMIRA International continues to attract new members and to provide expanded services.
In recent years we have opened new offices in
- North America,
- Latin America, and
- South Africa
to provide improved access for our members.
How Does AMIRA International Work?
AMIRA International is a not-for-profit company that is run by a Board of Directors elected by its members.
It exists solely to serve its members. It was founded in Australia in 1959, as AMIRA Ltd, to allow member companies to combine to pursue non-competitive collaborative research .
The model and the results it achieved proved so successful that it began to attract an international membership. Eventually, with the majority of its members domiciled outside Australia, it was reconstituted as AMIRA International to serve the industry globally.
Today its members and its research providers are drawn from every continent with the result that it has unrivalled capability to draw on the world’s leading researchers in every relevant discipline to meet the needs of members.
Who Can Join?
AMIRA has a range of members, who can be grouped in three categories.
- Group members. These are the large multinational resource companies who often have a large number of wholly-owned subsidiaries. By paying for group membership they are able to use the Intellectual Property gained from their involvement in operations throughout the group.
- Mid-cap group members. Companies with a market capitalization of under $US0.5 billion can also join as Group Members with a reduced group membership fee reflecting the fact that they tend to have fewer subsidiaries through which they can exploit the IP they gain.
- Member companies. These pay a smaller fee but can use any IP accessed through AMIRA International only in the operations of the member company.
Who Does Join?
Our members range from the world’s biggest resource companies, through smaller producers to suppliers and consultants to the industry.
All have the opportunity to participate in proposing or supporting research projects in fields that interest them. All have the opportunity to attend AMIRA events and so maintain a global connection with their industry colleagues and with leading research providers. There are few better opportunities to stay abreast of technology developments in our industry.
How do you Initiate or Support Projects?
There are three principal ways projects can be initiated:
- Researchers bring to AMIRA research opportunities likely to interest members.
- You, as a member, suggest to AMIRA areas of research that would be beneficial to you and possibly others.
- Our Research Directors suggest opportunities on the basis of their experience or through project development initiatives instigated by AMIRA.
The Research Directors then work these concepts up into research proposals with clear targets, guidelines, milestones and cost parameters. These are circulated to members who are then invited to participate. The amount of money required to participate in a project depends on the scale of the project, on the number of companies supporting it and on your level of involvement. Commitments are for a fixed period and fixed amount.
If on completion of the research, members feel there is value to be gained from further work, AMIRA’s Research Directors will prepare a new extention proposal.
One project – P9 which models mineral processing – has been the subject of further, ever-advancing research for more than 45 years, with increasing numbers of companies seeking to participate and access the technology that is constantly being generated. While this is the most famous example, many other projects have had multiple extensions as the completed research reveals new opportunities.
Get More Involved
AMIRA International is governed by a Board of 18 Directors, elected (on a rotating basis) by members at the Annual General Meeting.
A Board of this size allows representation by a wide range of members, ensuring that the interests of every class of member are fully considered.
We urge all members in every category to attend the AGM and have their say and their vote – and to stand for election if they wish. By doing this you can have input into the directions of AMIRA International and increase involvement in this critical area of our industry.
As a member you also have the capacity to influence the direction of AMIRA research. We welcome your suggestions for fruitful research targets. Your input ensures our research is relevant to you and to your sector of the industry. To get more out of your AMIRA membership, put more time into it. It is YOUR association. Make it work for you.
AMIRA Members 2010/11
- G-Resources Group Limited
- Hidden Valley Services
- Hindustan Zinc Limited
- Queensland Alumina Ltd
- Minera Sans Cristobal S.A.
- Azumah Resources Limited
- Drake Resources Limited
- Regis Resources Limited
- SIPA Resources Limited
- Volta Resources Inc
- ABITIBI Geophysique
- Amdel Limited
- Australian Gold Reagents Pty Ltd
- Australian Laboratory Services Pty Ltd
- BASF Australia Ltd
- Bateman Engineering Pty Ltd
- Boart Longyear Pty Ltd
- CP Kelco Oy
- Cytec Australia Holdings Pty Ltd
- Datamine Corporate Ltd
- FL Smidth Minerals Inc
- Gekko Systems Pty Ltd
- Geophysical Resources & Services Pty Ltd
- Hatch Australia Pty Ltd
- Industrie de Nora
- INPPAMET Ltda
- ioGlobal Pty Ltd
- Kemix (Pty) Ltd
- Magotteaux Pty Ltd
- Metso Minerals
- Nalco Australia Pty Ltd
- National Starch
- Orica Mining Services
- Outer-Rim Exploration Services Pty Ltd
- Quantec Geoscience
- Quantitative Geoscience
- RSR Technologies Inc
- Russell Mineral Equipment Pty Ltd
- Sandvik Mining & Construction Australia Pty Ltd
- Senmin South Africa (Pty) Ltd
- SGS Australia Pty Ltd
- WesTech Engineering Inc
- Zonge International Inc
- Alcoa World Alumina
- Anglo Platinum Management
- AngloGold Ashanti
- Antofagasta Minerals S.A.
- Avocet Mining PLC
- Barrick Gold Corporation
- BHP Billiton
- Boliden Minerals AB
- Cameco Corporation
- Cayeli Bakir Isletmeleri A.S.
- Compania de Minas Buenaventura
- Exxaro Resources Limited
- Eldorado Gold Corporation
- First Quantum Minerals Ltd
- Freeport McMoRan Mining Company
- GFL Mining Services Limited
- Golden Star Exploration
- Hydro Aluminium Metal Products
- IAMGOLD Corporation
- Impala Platinum Ltd
- Independence Group NL
- Inmet Mining Corporation
- Issara Mining Limited
- Kinross Gold Corporation
- Lonmin Platinum
- Lundin Mining Corporation
- Minerals and Metals Group
- Newcrest Mining Limited
- Newmont Australia Limited
- OZ Minerals
- Randgold Resources Limited
- Resolute Mining Limited
- Rio Tinto Limited
- Semafo Inc
- Servicious Industriales Penoles
- Shell Canada Energy
- St Barbara Limited
- Total E & P Canada Ltd
- United Company RUSAL
- Votorantim Metais Ltda
- Xstrata Technology